In Winning Conditions to Improve Patient Experiences: Integrated Healthcare in Ontario, The Change Foundation counsels the government to concentrate first on connecting and coordinating health services — the key to better healthcare experiences and lower costs.
The advice is relevant to the Drummond Commission’s review of public services, the pending legislative look at Ontario’s LHINs, and the implementation of the Excellent Care for All Act.
The report recommends 24 interconnected actions to improve care, governance, funding, performance, and information flow, including:
• Strengthen regional healthcare – whatever the structure.
• Support/strengthen public engagement.
• Develop a strategy for integrating primary care with the rest of the system.
• Create a Payment and Funding Commission.
• Shift focus to home and community care.
• Update the relationship between physicians and hospitals.
• Develop better ways to measure patient and caregiver experience.